"Feelings"

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:54:20 -0500

In my recent replies, I just realized that I've coincidentally mentioned
"feeling" strings. I really don't have a fetish about this! I do like to
use all the resources available, including all the senses -- sight, sound,
touch, smell... um, and whatever others remain and are still working.
Feeling strings has obviously paid off for me in diagnosing certain
problems. For that matter, I "feel" dampers, hammers, pinning, and other
piano parts as situations require. Even tuning requires feelings, eh?

Fortunately, I'm one of those who can get by with this. I'm not a naturally
"lubricious" person (okay, I don't sweat much). Likewise, I apparently
don't exude skin oils or acids that tarnish, corrode, or otherwise
contaminate materials. I suppose skin acids are an hereditary thing, not
acquired, and that those individuals who have the condition are not to be
blamed for something that can't be prevented.

Story 1: I have a friend who is also a skilled tuner/technician. This
person is no longer permitted to use my tools. The first time it happened,
my favorite screwdriver blade looked like it had been through the "black
oxide" treatment. The second time, it involved pliers. There was no third time.

Story 2: Quote from my old friend Lew Herwig. "I always shake hands with
the person who's gonna' hang piano wire for me". [You figure it out].

The rest of us, those with the CAN-heppits, can at least minimize our
impact to our beloved pianos, lest we become part of the problem:
(a) wash up before and after visiting Kentucky Chicken Toxic Bell, or
Bugger Queen;
(b) in the service vehicle, carry a squeeze bottle of water with a few
drops of "Joy" dishwashing detergent, along with a small hand towel. Use
this to wash hands between calls (think of dentists with different patient
rooms). [Thanks to John Adair, Columbia SC chapter for this one];
(b) carry a small squeeze bottle of one of the alcohol-based hand
sanitizers (Purex, germ-X, et al). This is my favorite, and I go through an
inordinate amount of the over-priced "slime in a bottle". I also have fewer
colds than ever before. This little bottle should be on your person, not in
your car or tool kit, and refilled from the larger supply;
(c) carry all sorts of gloves -- leather, fabric, latex, etc., and use as
the situation dictates. This really impresses clients!
(d) if you perspire and/or leave oil slicks on the stretcher, or
fingerprints anywhere else in the normal course of
removing/tuning/reassembly... you brought 'em in there -- you pack 'em out!
Do a wipe-down. This impresses customers even more!
(e) think multiple use. Carry a -real- chamois, cut to appropriate size.
1. When wrapped around the tuning lever, it protects the lever from nicks
and scratches while being transported in the kit.
2. Use between [your] arm and stretcher to absorb... your moisture.
3. Use as a small tool pad.
4. With other tools for weight, use to kill off duplex area while tuning.
5. Lay across sections of strings to help isolate after-rings, buzzing, other.
6. If soft enough, can be used for wipe-down mentioned above... although I
use a special cloth for this instead.

Enough. The mind tends to wander when an extended service call is cancelled
at the last minute! I could have used that income instead of typing to
y'all, but hope some of the rambling is worthwhile! <g>

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.