Piano Sales Forces...Jonathan!

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:01:19 -0500

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan wrote:  You have offended me greatly personally.

First of all, thank you for your response.  I've reread my original post to the list,
and you could have been offended by it.  I'm sorry.  I was actually venting some
frustration over my own situation, which I really should not have aired on this list.
(Or at least offered my queries in a little more civilized manner...)  I am grateful
that other contributors to the list picked up on the thread and offered some real good
quality discussion.  (Thank you!)

 Jonathan wrote: I  am a piano salesperson, but also a person who strives to be honest
and
forthright with his customers, and I am also a piano technician who spends a
great deal of time doing research into the pianos I sell and piano technology
in general.

Sir, my hat is off to you.  You are an asset to the piano business.  I'm finding out
that there are people of good repute in the piano business,  owners, and salesmen, as
well as tuners and technicians.  To steal a line from a movie;  We all go through life
with blinders on, seeing only that little station in life to which we were assigned.
It's a rare person who gets to escape those blinders if only for a moment... something
like that.  Well, I've been going through life with some 'blinders' in place and am
now getting glimpses of the outside world, some through this list, and some from just
questioning what it is I've been taught all these years that may not quite make
sense!?  At the dealership I presently work for, the sales staff is not very
interested in much else other than the almighty commission.  And if I lumped you in
with that general attitude, I offer my sincere apologies.

 Jonathan wrote:  Perhaps you should also remember that if you think you can do a
better job perhaps you should get into this "piano sales" force that you are
so hasty to criticize.

I'll not go too far with this, but let me give you an example.  (This actually
happened, I'm not making this up.)  Technician "A" goes to the owner, says "I have
someone who wants to buy a piano.  If I sell them a piano, will you give me a
commission?"  Owner replies, "Sure!  That would be great!"  Technician "A" sells
potential customer (on his own time, I might add) a 7' Boston grand.  Guess what??? NO
COMMISSION!!!  (By the way, I wasn't the person who sold the piano. ) (Also, the owner
IS one of the sales persons!)  Can you see where some of my ill feelings come from
when I have a problem with what I see as Owners and Sales forces?  I don't have a
problem with you.  I'm frustrated with where I am!  It sounds to me like I'd like
working with you very much!  (I used to think that where I work now was just the
Normal way of doing business.  Now I'm seeing some glimpses of what life is like just
past those 'blinders' I was talking about.)

Jonathan wrote:  In any case... if you should feel like criticizing
the "sales force" again soon in the future do me a favor and narrow the field
down a bit... Don't include us all please.

Again, Jonathan,  I'm sorry I offended you.  I did make some pretty broad statements
to which you were not a party.  I will consider the things you've said to me in the
future.  But I hope you'll know my frustrations are not aimed at you when I blast a
salesman for shooting that line of  'bull jive' at the unsuspecting customer.

I'm human.  I ranted above and beyond what I should have.  Maybe from here on out we
can have good conversations!  I'd like that.

Thanks again for sharing with me.

Best wishes, always,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.