Meantone, my personal adventure

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:33:21 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

The syntonic comma is that amount (in beats) by which 3 contiguous 3rd fail
to equal an octave. As one explained earlier, there are 4 4ths or 5ths
encountered in going from C to E (ie, tune a 5th up from C to G, tune a
4ths down to D, tune a 5th up to A, tune a 4th down to E). Actually in the
old days and according to J. Cree Fisher, they didn't use the 4ths, but
would tune down an octave and then tune up another 5th etc. The Syntonic
comma is expressed by the number of beats in the C-E resultant 3rd. Now, if
you temper each of 5ths equally so that you come out with a pure C-E
M3rd, then you have tune 1/4 syntonic comma 5ths.

If you work with the D-G# M3rd and do the same thing, you end up with a
very wide and busy 3rd Ab-C. This is more than a Pythagorean 3rd, and in
order to arrive at that same place tuning down the flats side of the circle
of 6ths, the "Wolf tone 5th is usually left with the Ab-Db 5th. There are
many ways people dealt with just where to put the wolf and how much
wolf, or whether to have two smaller wolves etc. Read about it in the First
book of Owen's.

Now all this is not to be confused with the ditonic comma which is the
amount that 12 successive 5ths overshoot 7 octaves. Our present Equal
temperament is accomplished by shrinking each 5th by 1/12th of the ditonic
comma. On pianos (with their concommitant inharmonicity) the ditonic comma
is not so great (I mean large, not famous). This is why we can get away with
a Pure 5ths temperament on modern pianos, but not on harpsichords etc.

Do you have available Owen's book on Tuning the Historical Temperaments
by Ear? In this book he doesn't talk as much about cents, but beats. This
should be more up your alley.

Jim Coleman, Sr.