Vertical Frame Separation

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:34:18 -0800

ralphbl@mindspring.com wrote:

> I have a client who owns a Starck console, circa 1965, that has developed a
> separation of the top of the frame (directly behind the pinblock). It's
> about 18 inches long and runs from C8 down to about C6. At its widest point,
> it's about 1/16th inch (or less) wide.

I'll take a stab at this one, done more then a few.

!!!FIRST!!!
Double check for plate cracks, I've seen a few of these bend enough from
separation as to cause serious cracks at the plate struts.

If plate is OK

Option one:  I use on cheaper piano that demands min. budget. Pour epoxy
                   in the crack and clamp back as much as possible. I have about

                   six like this in the field and have yet to see them budge,
use the
                   best quality high strength epoxy you can get.

Option 2 (Better): Take one screw out at a time, while clamping for support,
drill
              a hole straight through to the back, installing carriage bolts.
Glue
              and tighten back as much as possible.

I say "as much as possible" because I've seen a couple separated so far,
and so bad that I believed they had been that way for quite some time.
I believed the wood had become warped distorted from years like that
Sometimes it seems wiser to me to secure what is before you and not
force it back. Some judicial dicernment is in order.

Your crack does not sound so serious, I would glue and clamp it back.

Comment on gluing with epoxy.
As an experiment I took two 6 by 4 inch blocks of Bolduc pinblock
, laid them side by side one full inch apart, built dams with tape
and filled the cavity with epoxy. I never sanded the sides at all.
When  cured I tried to get the pieces apart
Never did succeed. I ended up using a sledge hammer against
it in a clamp. The wood is broken but the glue still is firmly locked
to the broken piece.

So... flame suit is on.......

                                                   David Renaud
                                                   RPT