Thoughts on soundboards...you out there Ron?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:49:07 -0600 (CST)

At 08:07 PM 3/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Ron,
>
>Thanks for the input.  Someday, maybe it'll all 'click' together in my mind,
>sort of like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle coming together!  I found some
of the
>articles in the Journal, and I'm going to see if the library can get me a few
>books that Del recommended.

* Hi brian. The concepts are fairly straight forward, but the details - ah,
the details are endless.

>Fit the pinblock to the plate flange today, (amongst other things).  I finally
>figured out that if I make that thing first, and get it all fit up, and lined
>up,  it's a lot easier to put it all together After the plate is all finished,
>without putting scratches and dings in the fresh finish.

* Good thinking. Then you have the chain jump off the hoist and land smack
among the hitch pins of octave six when you go to install it. I'll put the
last coat on it... again... I hope, tomorrow. There's definitely something
evil about octave six. %-) And yes, I did finally make a sort of guard for
the chain. Hope you have better luck.

>I'm curious, how do you fit your pinblocks?  I use a graphite and alcohol
>'slurry', paint the flange with it, put the rough pinblock in place, hammer on
>it a little, and take down the high spots with a rotary rasp in the drill,
>repeating until I have nice coverage over the entire pinblock (that's the
>general jist of it...).

* That's about it, except I use a belt sander with boulder grit (40).

>I got to make a new pinblock for a fairly new Baldwin
>last year (water damage) and there was some kind of 'shmutz' in there between
>the flange and the pinblock.  Do you know what they're using?  I've wondered
>about it.  It seems to be pretty tough stuff, and it seems like it would take a
>lot less time...

* Hmmm, that would probably be #2 shmutz. Really, I don't know. Some folks
habitually fit the plate with epoxy, but others think that's wrong. I
normally don't, but I have when the fitting process wasn't getting me there
well enough because of some weird plate configuration. Maybe Baldwin has a
similar attitude. Any enlightenment from past Baldwin folks out there?

>Anyway, thanks again.  I appreciate the good thoughts!
>
>Best wishes, always,
>
>Brian Trout
>Quarryville, Pa.

Same to you, sir. Happy hunting.