1960s Steinway console

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 07:46:18 -0500

Hi John,

Welcome to the world of Steinway uprights!  I think you'll find that
most all of the uprights that Steinway makes have a similar problem,
along with a string equalization that's a real pain along side just
about any other piano.  (Yea, you put it there, but will it be anywhere
even close when you come back to it?...)  I wish I knew what the problem
really was.  Poor bridge notching will give similar effects, but most of
the ones I've looked at aren't that bad.  Do you think that the bearing
angles are too severe?  Could that cause false string kind of problems?
I'm sorry, I'm not much help here, but I think you'll find that the
piano you worked on is not abnormal for what it is.  You'll not likely
get an answer from Steinway other than "There's nothing wrong with it."
(which is a shame.  I think they are capable of a much better upright
piano...)

If anybody out there has an idea of what the root causes of these
problems are with the Steinway uprights, I too would be interested.

Have a great weekend!

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.