1098

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:40:34 -0600

I've read on this list that the Steinway 1098 was difficult to tune
because the string angle is too steep, and that the string angle was to
small.  I tuned one this week and looked carefully at the angle at the
v-bar, pressure bar etc.  I found that the angle from the v-bar to the
(huge) pressure bar was VERY small.  You could barely call the v-bar a
termination.  However, from the pressure bar back to the felt covered
v-bar right in front of the tuning pins, there was a VERY steep angle.
The worst of both worlds!  No crisp termination at the termination, and
lots of friction behind the pressure bar.

Fortunately that was the low point of the week.  The rest of the week
was fine.

dave

--

David M. Porritt, RPT