1960s Steinway console

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:53:43 -0600

Thanks to all who responded about the Steinway console.

Brian, I did not have excessive trouble with string equalization. What I did
was to set the pin at about 1-2 beats sharper than the middle string, then
flexed the pin to equalize. Seemed to work pretty much like all the other
consoles I've done. The pins are very tight, and one has to be sure that the
pin is actually turning rather than merely flexing.

Jon, I was glad to be using my SAT to tune this one. I could have done it by
ear, but probably would have been nutty by the end of it. I am glad for
modern electronic technology. :-) I have not had the opportunity to tune any
Mason & Hamlin pianos yet, but would like to. From all I've heard, they are
supposed to be top notch instruments.

Del, does one need to contact Steinway about instructions for adjusting the
pressure bar correctly? Yes, I agree that the performance of this Steinway
was rather poor.

Kevin, thanks for the tip on sympathetic vibes and strip muting. I'll try to
remember to try your suggestion the next time.

>From what you guys are saying, just because it has "Steinway" written on it
does not necessarily mean it is a good-sounding instrument. (That's OK by
me--I don't bow down to Steinway anyhow). I like Yamaha pianos a lot, and
would readily recommend those over the Steinway if all of their verts are
like this one.

Thanks again.

John Formsma