Horse & Wagon

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 18:35:16 -0700 (MST)

Hi Sy:

My father used to sell pianos from a horse drawn wagon. In the evening, he
would stop at a farmer's house and inquire about a night's lodging (no
motels in those days - early 1900s). After dinner he would ask if there were
any hired hands who could help him get that piano off of the wagon and into
the house (he had previously qualified the farmer and one of the sharp
children). He would teach the most precocious child how to play a simple
tune with both hands. The farmer would be convinced that his daughter had
musical talent. That piano would never leave that house. That's the way my
dad sold pianos in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Kansas. He later of necessity
learned to tune them also.

Jim Coleman, Sr.