AcryliKey...anybody using it?

Richard Wagner rjwag@pacifier.com
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:14:54 -0800

Hi Bob, (and anyone on the List to whom this might apply.)

I saw your post (quoted below) and thought I might be able to offer a few
suggestions that would make your repairs easier in the future.

>>I wondered about how easy it is to match color or grain, <<
>
>Not impossible, but not easy either, in that the colorant which one adds to
>the white powder is so strong. It takes an extremely small amount, which I
>find hard to control. When it's done, however, the repair is indeed almost
>invisible.

If you need to add some yellow, and "yes" it is indeed strong, I suggest
that you put a few drops of the liquid monomer into a *seperate* mixing
cup, and add a grain or two of the yellow pigment to that.  The monomer
will dilute the color significantly, and you should be able to just dip the
toothpick into that solution and transfer it to the white white PRE-MIX.
When you're done, wipe out the plastic beaker into which you added the
yellow/monomer so that it's ready to use again in the future.

>We have had some pop out, even with good preparation. It is hard to get a
good
>mechanical grip on such a small area. Next time I'm going to drill a small
>hole into the key to provide a little "foot" for the repair.

Usually, problems with bonding can be attributed to applying the material
too late in the process.  It bonds best when it goes in as quickly and as
"wet" as possible.  I have a couple of additional graphics that I would be
happy to E-mail you (or anyone on the list) which explain how to make this
"wet" application easy to accomplish.

Contact me privately if you'd like me to send them.

Richard Wagner RPT