August Forester - drop problems

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:01:11 -0500

Cal, I can only count on one hand (with a couple fingers missing) my
experiences with the brand. However, something's not right here. I'll leave
it to others to explore additional possibilities, but my first thoughts were:

- are you dealing with original parts/work (including hammers/shanks/flanges)?
- do you have sufficient repetition spring strength?
- what kind of main rails (wood/metal)?
- what kind of action brackets?
-  any other risers (support blocks, etc.) between action bracket feet and
keyframe?
- is the stack "rocking" on the keyframe?
- condition of related peripheral components -- leathers, punchings, et al?

Somehow, drop screws at the top of adjustment, drop at 1/8" or more below
letoff, and knuckles that are a "little" flat is like 2+2=7 -- the math
doesn't work.

Is there a possibility that you're dealing with an alloy-type action
bracket, i.e., "growing"? This would certainly skew proper diagnostics, as
well as making regulation attempts an exercise in futility.

As for knuckle removal, if you can't get the first one off... try the next
one! Seriously, there are some recent threads on this in the archives.
Barry Heaton uses a solvent that you won't recognize the British name.
Otherwise, if they're attached the way God intended (hot hide glue), skip
the solvents and go for the 'captive brute force' method.

However you proceed, continue with your present method -- samples. Also,
please keep us posted.

At 12:03 PM 3/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am looking for some advice on what to do with an August Forester (7') whose
>drop screw is all the way up but drop is still 1/8" or more below let-off? The
>knuckles are a little flat so I have purchased a set of Tokiwa knuckles to
>replace. After comparing the old with the new I'm having second thoughts and
>so will experiment by replacing one in the middle section. (if truth be told I
>can't get the first knuckle off which is the main reason I'm looking for some
>help. Is solvent normally used?)
>Thanks,
>Cal Munson
>Ann Arbor, MI

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.