Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:59:43 EST

John S. wrote:

<<It has been my understanding that Garfields is, basically, glycerin and
alcohol. I have used them interchangeably in the past with identical results.
Is there something I don't know about Garfields?>>

It is my understanding that Garfields does have glycerine and alcohol in it,
but also some brown molassas type stuff in it that I was told came from a
whiskey mash residue. It is this other stuff I have a problem with. I heard
that beer and other wierd products were poured into pinblocks in the
depression, and some of them kind of worked, and that Garfield's was one of
the "successful" treatments, and went on from there.  ( remember that this was
long ago and in the drepression and a lot of early 1900's pianos were
failing.) HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS??

 Perhaps one could get the "Material Safety Data Sheets" for Garfield's, and
check this out, or look up the patent, if there is one.  What is that other
stuff?  I find that  pianos treated with Garfield's develop a brown ring
around the pins, and on the bushings, from dried seepage of excess material.
It is easily seen. To me the pins always feel "smeary" and never feel like
they can be set well, don't feel anything like normal tuning pins.

I would appreciate any feedback on this post.

Sincerely,
Bill Simon
Phoenix