Boston grand whip springs

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:25:53 +1100

I agree with Don that it may well be the point of contact between the spring
and the repetition lever. I had a Yamaha with that blue teflon stuf on it
that had worn through and was producing a severe click.
I used a 4B pencil (any pencil with lots of graphite in it will do). Take
the action off the keyframe, tip upside down. The pencil will reach in and
can be used to push the spring aside and run it up and down the spring
groove.....works a treat!

Have fun!
Mark Bolsius
----------
From: "Robin Blankenship" <itune@new-quest.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Boston grand whip springs
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:40 AM

Has anyone run into clicking noises produced by the movement of the whippen
spring about its mounting post on Boston grands? If so, do you have any
suggestions, short of total replacement, for quieting them? The noise does
NOT derive from the insertion point of the spring in the jack. Any advice
would be much appreciated.
Robin Blankenship
near Richmond, VA