Steinway

Rogerio Cunha rogeriocunha@openlink.com.br
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:20:36 -0300

To the list

We're repeatedly encountering key-balancing problems when restoring
Steinway grand pianos made in Hamburg in the 40's and 50's.

Right now we're finishing a German B model from 1957, which received
new Renner hammers (complete) and new repetitions. After all due
regulations and lubrications, the keys only start moving down, in
average, with a 70-gram mass on top of it.

Considering there isn't much room for additional lead, and, according to
our past experience, if you insist and lead the keys anyway to 47 grams
you end up with a reasonable weight, but with a strange touch (the
keyboard gets lazy, like you're playing a "rubber action"), so we're
wondering WHAT CAN BE DONE to restore the ideal balance of 47g weight
and responsive touch."
ROGERIO CUNHA - IC MEMBER OF THE GUILD