Selling Victoria (was "usual-best)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:07:04 EST

Bill writes;
>My take on the difference between the "best" and "usual"  Broadwood
>temperaments is the "usual" might well be considered a usual Victorian
>type of
>temperament to offer but if the customer/artist seems especially sensitive
>and/or likes the idea basically but still finds certain 3rds too harsh,
>the "best" might then be the best one to offer.

Greetings,
   Hmm,  ok,  I agree, this is sales technique more than intonational
specifics. The "best" designation helps.  What I have found to be very
effective lately is the following scenario.

"Mrs. Smith, I would like to suggest a slight change in the temperament of
your piano.  I will recreate the temperament done by the best tuner at the
Broadwood factory in 1885.  It is equal temperament with a slight organic
twist to favor the keys you use the most".
    This carries historical reassurance,(the BEST guy at the factory?  gimme
one!), plays to that feeling of "old time craftsmanship and sensitivity, while
at the same time offering both something new and something  their tuner is in
favor of..
     I am hitting about .750 with this approach, and have had nobody asking
for a retuning, yet.  If they really like it, I suggest something a little
stronger next time.  In this way, I am moving them all away from ET in small
increments.  But I will continually stress, for the adventurous customer, that
FIRST move is critical, and it is very important not to scare them until the
hooks are really in.  I used to use the Young, but now am scattering Owen's
Victorians all over music city. I just like to start with the best and roughen
them up after they get used to the ride! (:)}}
Regards,
Ed Foote