Temperaments...temperaments...temperaments...

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:58:52 -0500

What a unique topic! (He, he, he,)

I'm starting to get a little confused.

For years and years, I've had pounded into me that Equal Temperament was
the sought after, bona fide, and only proper way to tune a piano.  I've
been ridiculed by the ptg's finest (in my earlier years) for my 'blatant
temperament errors'.  I've worked hard, d*#%^ hard, to develop a good
solid equal temperament sequence.  And now it seems that "equal
temperament" is only an inferior, but barely acceptable method of laying
the bearings of a good tuning??????

What's up???

Let me give you another perspective.  I am also a pianist.  I'm not into
the concert level performances anymore, was only there briefly anyway,
but I've been told I'm an accomplished pianist.  Most of my tastes
gravitate towards a jazz style, and I have a problem with tonal
variations between keys.  I've played on pianos that were tuned in other
than ET and find it frustrating!  I change keys at the drop of a hat.
I'll play in B and F# and a few others that most won't willingly touch,
as well as the regular C and F and G.  I like the consistency I hear
with ET.  I don't like having to change my music to accommodate a
piano.  I like the piano to bear a certain 'transparency' which will
follow me wherever I go, musically speaking.

Forgive me for being a wet blanket.  I like ET.  I tune ET.  And the
last I've heard, the "Big Exam" still measures how well you can tune...
are you ready for this... Equal Temperament!!

Perhaps there are people who like the other temperaments.  May they
enjoy them in good health.

Forgive me.  I'm frustrated.  (and a little tired... think I'll go to
bed now...)

Brian