Damper Configurations

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:10:47 EST

In a message dated 3/25/99 8:33:44 PM, Brian wrote:

<<"It's my contention that a damper works better if the felt actually covers
less area.  (Sounds wrong, but that's been my experience.)">>

Brian;
 I think you are correct here in that increasing damper size leads quickly
into diminishing  return and reaches a point of 'not good'.
  I think that damper placement is important, more so than size, i.e. if a
damper is sitting 'right on' a node it will not be as effective as one offset.
Small/short dampers do work though, as evidenced by some very good damping
pianos equipped with short dampers.

<<"I'm finding out that none of it is really that hard... actually, I kind of
enjoy working on them from time to time.">>

 I agree with this also, damper time for me is right toward the end after
almost all the other stuf is complete except for final regulation and
tuning..tuning...tuning :-)

 It's kinda like Dr. Frankenstien, after slaving many long hours over a dead
body, walking over to a strange shaped lever pushing it and the roof falling
away to disclose a growing storm; and then when he/we stick the dampers in and
push the lever/key and with the lightning flashing, having a reaction that we
had hoped for and screaming "It's ALIVE, ALIVE, It's ALIVE hah ha hee hee hee.
:-)))
Oh well............. back to reality.
JIm Bryant (FL)