Customers don't over- or underpay me

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:27:40 -0500

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> "Dear Client,
>
> When I arrived as scheduled I was unable to gain access to your piano.
>
> If there was an unforeseen emergency that prevented you from being home,
> please let us know.  We are very understanding, knowing there are
> instances when the welfare of a friend or family member takes precedence
> over piano service.
>
> If this problem was due to an oversight on your part we recognize that
> all of us make similar mistakes now and then.  Nevertheless, piano
> technicians have little more to sell than their time and skills.  A
> failed appointment means a significant loss, since it will now take two
> appointments to service your piano when payment is received for only
> one.  The extra time from the failed appointment can rarely be used
> profitably.
>
> We have developed the following policy if the second instance is the
> case.  We are willing to absorb the loss for the first occurrence.
> Should the same happen again, you will be requested to pay half the
> normal tuning charge, plus mileage costs if they apply.  Both of us wish
> to be treated fairly, and from our viewpoint this policy appears more
> than fair.
>
> Please call if you would like to schedule another appointment.  Thank
> you for understanding."
>

> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA, USA

Hi Clyde,

Let me compliment you on a very well written statement.  It's very
unconfrontational, it's to the point, and it doesn't automatically make an enemy.

I was thinking about the possibilities of the various methods of dealing with a
missed appointment.

Ask them to pay for a service call when you didn't work on their piano... (even
if it was their fault for not being there)  I could see how their feathers could
be ruffled. (And even if they do pay you, there'll likely be bad feelings.)

Ignore it completely and you start to feel like a doormat, and they get the idea
that they can treat you (and other professionals as well) disrespectfully without
consequence.

Take 'em to court or turn it over to collection... not only will you likely make
nothing or worse yet be out fees and time and missed work because of it, you'll
likely loose a customer and receive a fair bit of bad publicity to boot.
Advertising is expensive enough as it is.  None of us needs bad advertising.

Clyde, I think you've got it about right.  We are all human.  We all have lives.
And sometimes things do come up unexpectedly.  A good rule to follow is "Treat
others as you would like to be treated".  (Now if I could only learn to follow my
own advice...)

Thank you Clyde.  I appreciate your input.

Take care,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.