super glue battle

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:13:25 EST

In a message dated 3/27/99 1:01:18 AM Central Standard Time,
Burndkrisp@AOL.COM writes:

<< List, I am a newbie to this wonderful world of piano tuning. >>

I read most of your post and and feel obligated to tell you that there is an
awful lot you need to learn.  Frankly, if I were the customer, I wouldn't pay
you anything at all but would have held you responsible for the damage you
caused.

The piano you were tuning did not need any CA glue treatment.

If you are using an electronic tuner that is not programmable to compensate
for inharmonicity and is not sensitive and accurate to 1/10th of a cent, you
are using a device that is not adequate for piano tuning.

You cannot raise the pitch of any piano just to the point where each note
reads at standard pitch and expect it to stay.  You must raise it
approximately 25-30% above that point, then redo the tuning completely,
expecting that most strings will either be at or very near where you want
them.

The kind of temperament you will get by using a "Korg" type electronic tuner
will contain many errors and can make all of the chords in the music played
afterwards be musically distorted.  It cannot tell you how much *stretch* to
put in your octaves, which is very important to the way the piano will sound.

You need to learn to tune by ear first.  Then, after you can create a tuning
that meets professional standards, you will be able to work more efficiently
and consistently with a programmable electronic tuner such as the SAT.  You
might also do well with the computer types such as the RCT and Tunelab.

You need to join PTG and follow this List so that you will understand how
serious and completely out of line with professional practices your actions
were.  People in this business who do well are people who know and care about
music.  If you need an Electronic Tuner just to tell you one note from the
other, you really don't have the background necessary.

While you have the right to continue, you should seriously consider whether
this kind of work is right for you.  If you truly believe it is, then you have
a great amount of knowledge to acquire and skills to develop.  Until then, you
have no business charging by the hour for something you do not understand nor
know how to do.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin