Chapter Technicals

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:34:03 +1100

Avery,
Isn't this the hardest part of being an active member of a chapter?
We've just run a very successful technical here in Sydney. Our program
director, David Ricketts (a known lurker on this list) ran a great series of
mini technicals. There are a heap of techs out there in most chapters who
have interesting ways of doing various tasks, but can't fill an hour or two,
but can fill 20-40 minutes. Get a few of them together for the one
occassion.
We had a 3 sessions on
"Friction in the action....and what to use where" There are at least 15
friction points in the grand action....find them all and talk about the
various products/tolerances etc etc.

"Hands-on stringing knots, which knots work in the piano and what is best
left to fencing contractors" Easy ways to remember which loop goes where.

"Tidying up a piano cabinet using readily available products. The guy that
ran this class wouldn;t have said boo five years ago, he is now our branch
(chapter) librarian and has since really come out of his shell. It was a
well prepared and useful class

Another meeting involved many of us bringing in our tool kits and having a
bit of a show-and-tell lesson. We all had a great time asking
what various implements are used for or guessing.

Or a bring in your favourite " Tips and Jigs" night.

Bring in your nearest Dampp-Chaser distributor (that's me in our
neighbourhood....just delcaring my interest here) for a product update and a
tips on installation or selling HC. They will travel a long way if there's a
possibility of a sale or two or even converting a few doubters.

I also go through the convention classes I've been to and enjoyed and try
reproducing some of those or even combining a few in to a different class.
Or even finding someone within the chapter who would be good at this or
that.

It's hard finding things that work for the kind of techs you describe, but
usually those guys can't get enough of grand regulation and voicing classes
(but that doesn't fill a year does it?). I supose I'm getting at the fact
that it doesn't hurt to do some classes that will raise the basic knowledge
level. While you may never actually do rebuilding, understanding the design
concepts or broadening your ability to diagnose problems opens all sorts of
doors!

I'm rambling.......thanx for your time and attention
Mark Bolsius