Damper Configurations

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:06:11 -0600 (CST)

Ron,

   That sounds like a possible Chapter Technical to me. :-) Let me/us know
what you figure out, etc.

Avery

>>Not to beat this one to death, but how about analyzing the scale to determine
>>when to change from all tri's to tri's/flats, to flats?  That is, see where
>>the
>>tension maybe begins to decrease; or at the note that changes to the next
>>lighter wire diameter, to help you determine when to make your change in
>>damper
>>felt.
>>
>>Vince

>Hi Vince,
>Yes, that's one of the sorts things I was considering with the original
>post. Tensions should be pretty smooth through the tenor, so I would think
>that wire size and speaking length would be bigger factors. Tension, length,
>wire diameter... impedance! (duh, forehead smack) The string energy
>potential decreases as the mass and length decrease, so it gets easier to
>damp as you go up. Harold Conklin's characteristic impedance formula will
>produce an adequate curve for prospecting purposes. I haven't approached
>this with numbers before, but it seems like a fairly straightforward way to
>establish some rough parameters. This looks like a cheap educational
>opportunity. I'll play with it a bit and see what fits. Good thought.
>
> Ron

Avery Todd, RPT                        Experience is something you don't
Moores School of Music                 get until just after you need it.
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893
713-743-3226
http://www.music.uh.edu/