clunker

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 00:22:46 -0500

Hi Les,

I think it would have been wise to have some good discussion with the customer,
perhaps a little less confrontational than what you suggested.

Some depends upon just what the customer bought, and what the customer thinks
he/she bought.  There are a lot of levels of instruments out there.  If it's a used
Wurlitzer console, and they expected the performance of the typical used Wurlitzer
console, well, they will likely be happy with their piano.  Before you blast 'em
with both barrels, find out their side of the story.

If you see blatant problems, not just the usual Wurlitzer console, like loose
bridge pins, major cracks in the bridges, or something similar, I think you owe it
to the customer to bring it to their attention.  If it's under some type of
warranty, and you think they are really in for some major repair bills in the very
near future, sometimes the dealer will take a lot of the heat, again depending upon
their agreement and understanding with the customer.

>From what you describe, it sounds pretty typical of the Wurlitzer console.  But
there are quite a number of people who are happy with that, or simply can't afford
better.

I know it wasn't much help, but it's good to learn as much about situations and
relationships before opening mouth and inserting foot. (Said with the taste of shoe
leather still...anyway...)

You can always use some CA or do a little repinning, or maybe twist the bass
strings if necessary.  The false strings are par for the course on this instrument.

Good luck.  Perhaps Wim or a few others can add some perspective.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.