$$$"Tools site" $$$

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 21:41:21 -0800

The new tools site is a division of "Vanda King Entertainment"
in Toronto.... The more I look, the more expensive it seems$$$..

The following was taken from their question-answer page.

Draw your own conclusions............

                                                   David Renaud
                                                    RPT

machines to tune the piano?

Answer:    Many people think those machines tune the piano, they don't!
Your piano tuner does that job manually with his hands and his ears.
However, he needs to obtain the source of his pitch from a reliable
point of origin.  Years ago, tuning forks were used.  There were 12
forks, one for each note of the scale.  Today thanks to modern
technology, a tuner can get his sound source from a 'Pitch Generator'.
This is a machine that electronically gives out the correct pitch
allowing the tuner the use of both hands, which in turn speeds up the
tuning process.  You'll find a technician tunes the first octave with
the generator to set the 'temperament', and therest of the piano is
balanced according to the bearings obtained in that first octave.  A
'Pitch Generator' is also useful for some older pianos that cannot be
brought up to standard pitch (A440). <<<<<