Hammond Organ

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 18:00:37 -0600

Jims et al,

Harvey is right about most of the stuff. The 5Y3 is a rectifier tube for the
pedal solo unit power supply. The pedal solo has 32 foot stops as well as 16
foot, etc. It generates the frequencies electronically rather than from the
tone wheels. I would not think all the tubes would be bad, it would be rare
in my experience. If you can find a technician to check it for you, it might
be to your advantage to do so.

Tone wheels keep on turning,
Dale
Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.
Piano & Organ Service
Wichita Falls, TX

http://www.ptg.org/1999/conv/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
harvey
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 1999 11:24 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Hammond Organ

To JimRPT: valves and tubes (one is Euro version);

To Elian: Unless something has changed, it's unlikely that solid state
replacements are available for anything other than, possibly, the rectifier
tube.

To Rogerio: No problemo con los valvos nuevo, pero... porque su piensa que
los valvos esta malo o roto? If memory serves, the RT3 is primarily a tone
wheel generator model. The on-board electronics served as a pre-amp for
another remote slave amplifier/cabinet. There may have been some square
black tabs on the console that either coupled or did something with pedal
tones (sub-frequencies).

It certainly won't hurt to have new tubes (valves), since it will give you
backups. However, the 'newest' RT3 is now... old. More than likely you will
find problems with either the filter capacitor, and/or the coupling
capacitors. Now, really trusting memory, your tube functions would likely
be:
5U4 = rectifier, as mentioned;
12AX7 = preamp
5Y3 = phase inverter
6L6 = output
etc. = never heard of this one. 8-}

I see you now have a source for tubes. If the new tubes don't work out,
E-mail me (or Dale Probst).

Regards,
Jim Harvey, RPT
(y perdonome Espanol.. mucho tiempo pasada)