Pin Block to Back Post Repair

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:03:15 EST

List-

I have repaired a number of pianos with back posts pulling loose from the pin
block, but I have a customer with a Story & Clark console (1965 vintage) that
poses a couple of problems I have not run into before:

1.  The top of the back posts is covered by a strip of wood that has stayed
attached to the pin block.  I assume I will have to pry it loose in order to
get glue down between the pin block and the back posts, and to be sure I have
the crack closed up when clamping.

2.  There seems to be a problem with my usual method of bolting the pin block.
I usually bore holes all the way through using the lag screw holes in the
plate and pin block, but in this piano those holes go down the glue joint
between the above mentioned cover strip and the back posts/fillers.  With the
bolts just grazing the top of the area I want to anchor, I fear the
possibility of failure.   Anyone have a good solution for anchoring the
repair?

One more item:  does anyone know what glue Story and Clark would have been
using at that time?  What glue would be likely to hold the best?

Bill Maxim, RPT