Removing Bass Strings

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:38:15 -0600 (CST)

At 02:53 AM 3/29/99 EST, you wrote:

>I believe this subject has been discussed before but I can't remember what the
>consensus is.
>
>Is it safe to remove the bass strings without lowering the tension on the rest
>of the scale?
>
>I have done this before with no problem on a couple of old uprights but this
>is a Baldwin SF-10.
>
>Dave Bunch

Hi Dave,
I don't recall *ever* hearing of anyone who did have a problem with it, and
a lot of us have done it more than once. It should be quite safe if the
piano is structurally sound, but I don't like to leave the piano too long
under tension without bass strings, just on principal. I have had pianos set
for three or four days with the bass off without problems, but I'd rather
wrap it up in the same day if possible. You can put off removing the old set
until you have the replacements and are ready to install them and it will be
minimally traumatic for both the piano and you. <G> Just out of curiosity,
what prompted the replacement?

 Ron