Removing Bass Strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:06:25 -0500

> Sometimes spinning those tuning pins in the drill can
> wreak havoc on the surface of the plate.

Yes the potential is there.  It was never an issue because the plate
was going to be sanded and sprayed.  The trick is to pull upward on
the pin so it doesn't just spin in the hole.

> ended up chipping the plate a lot when the coil would break and slam down onto the plate.  Perhaps there's a technique?

Yes, the trick is to break the becket, not slam the coil down on the
plate.  You need to have a becket breaker that fits so it will not
over ride the coil.  Give each pin a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to loosen the
coils grip on the pin so it will slide down easily so the becket will
be sheared.  Hit the breaker only hard enough to break the becket
using short sharp blows not pin driving power.  A light hammer is best
for this.

> Sounds like a pain, but I have it worked out to a pretty neat little system.

A friend and I destrung a piano in 30 minutes using this system.  A
factory stringer used a drill to spin out the pins and did not damage
to the plate.  What system you use is less important than that you are
comfortable with the system yo use.

Knowing that there are other systems out there can only help you be
aware of the potential to do something with less energy and less time.

Thank you for your post and never stop asking questions; that is how
we all learn.

		Newton