Pierce Interpretation...

PNOTNR@AOL.COM PNOTNR@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:38:06 EST

In a message dated 3/30/99 7:45:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jaymercier@hotmail.com writes:

<< Yesterday I tuned an old Story & Clark Upright.  The former tech. placed
 a piece of masking tape next to the name on the plate that read "Made in
 1907."

 I was caught by surprise as I interpreted the serial number in the
 Pierce Atlas as 1908.

 Here is what Pierce reads:

 Story & Clark
 21,400 - 1907
 24,100 - 1908 >>

It might be simply that the previous tech didn't read the two numbers
carefully.  Might have transposed the numbers.  20 years ago, I worked as a
bank teller, and we learned that when you're tired, it's common to transpose
numbers, hence the 21,400 could become 24,100 and vice versa.

That's my thought......

I'd go with the Pierce date over a piece of masking tape!

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine