Why Strings Break

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:23:09 -0400

Hello,   List

In the past years, I can hardly remember breaking strings while tuning.

I apply the same technique, but depending on the piano, I barely touch it
down or if I feel the piano has been without tuning for many years and
tuning pins feel too tight I use several variations.

This is a very humid tropical area, if it is a very new, very tight pins, I
first recommend them to use a dehumidifier, lowering humidity helps, then
the first tuning I kick the hammer briefly but effectively, when strings
were stuck, you can hear a pinging noise us they free themselves.

If the tuning pins feel right, but I know the piano had a long time without
tuning I use the same kicking procedure.

If the piano is regularly tuned, I just lower a bit as Ron says.

Also and I think very important, I was trained to to use both hands, In
upright pianos I use the left for the tuning hammer, and in Grands I use the
right hand.

With these combination I tuned all sorts of pianos the last years without
string breakage

Elian