Leveling a plate? Del? Ron? Anybody?

Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:13:47 -0800

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> Del;
>   Would you care to expand on this thought?
> Jim Bryant (FL)

This is a subject I have gone into often in both the various classes I have
taught and in several of the articles I've written for the Journal.

Basically the difference is that with the conventional hitch pin arrangement
the string is typically brought over some type of bearing bar -- whether that
bar is arranged such that the backscale length is "tuned" or not is really
irrelevant.  As is the fact that most bass sections don't have a separate
bearing bar -- the string simply bears across a felt strip of some sort.  At
this point the string is forced to flex if the bridge is to actually move.
And we do want the bridge to move.  More so in the bass than in the treble, to
be sure, but throughout the scale it must move.  Also, keep in mind that it is
not just the point of the bridge bearing the string(s) of the note actually
being struck that must move, but -- except in the highest treble -- the entire
bridge (in the case of the bass notes) and at least a good portion of the
bridge adjacent to those strings through the tenor/treble section.

Now, pick up a piece of piano wire -- any size -- and put it in a clamp and
bend it.  Multiply the force required by a hundred or so and you begin to get
the idea.

The advantage of the vertical hitch is that the string(s) don't have to bend
as much as they pivot at the hitch.  This is particularly so through the bass
with its typically heavier (thicker) wires.

I hope the above gets the point across.  If not, you'll have to wait until
I've had my coffee and actually wake up.

Regards,

Del