loose pins

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:49:24 EST

In a message dated 3/31/99 11:57:59 AM Central Standard Time,
plumb@execulink.com writes:

<< Dear List,

 I have a Vose grand that needs about 20 pins tightened.  I am not in favor
 of doping and the plate holes are so small that there is no room to put in
 oversize pins.  Can I drill out the holes slightly, if so, how and with
 what?  Or is there a better method?  The owner is not willing to replace
 the block for cost reasons.

 Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,  >>

The Vose piano is one of the few, if not only, that actually has *tapered*
pins.  Try tapping first to see if it is effective.

Yes, you could enlarge the plate hole but this is usually only done while
rebuilding with no pinblock there.  It is usually countersunk afterwards.  I
can hardly imagine a plate hole so small that a 4/0 pin would not fit through
it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin