Protek on Strings

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:39:13 -0500

John, I don't know about 'safe' at the moment. As of last Thursday, I began
exploring 'effective'.

I finally tired of finding the 'sweet spot' on an Aeolian Knabe grand. The
combination of excessive side bearing, mushy tuning pin feedback, and high
counter-bearing area with felt landings was causing me to spend as much
time on the last 1-1/2 octaves as on the rest of the piano. You know the
type -- turn the pin 1/8 of a rotation before anything changes, regardless
of direction. Last Thursday, my internal fuse blew, and I reached for the
Protek and applied a few drops to only the felted area between tuning pins
and counter-bearing bar. At my age, I don't get grin-faced over many
things. I was grinning last Thursday.

The difference in tuning response was instant and gratifying. Although
other areas could benefit...(?), I stopped after doing only the highest
treble section. When I see the results of this over time, I may do more of
this piano, and/or loosen my restraints regarding other pianos --
especially those that exhibit these characteristics.

On a related note, it was the lack of tuning stability that caused this
client to switch tuners originally. Their words, "The tuning seemed just
fine until someone began to actually play the piano". My tunings were
always stable on this piano, but the penalty in time and frustration in
making it so was beginning to get to me. Something had to change... and did.

JMO.

At 08:51 AM 3/31/99 -0500, John wrote:
>(I digress once again, please excuse me): How effective/safe is ProTek on the
>bearing points? How 'bout the coil? How 'bout the underfelt? I've been
tempted
>many times, but just haven't yet made the leap.
>
>John Piesik, RPT
>Oceanside, CA

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.