Tightening coils on sloppy restringing

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sat, 1 May 1999 09:28:40 -0600

You know, when I read stories like this I fill with self pride because =
I've restrung only two pianos and even my first one came out fine.  I am =
a 3 year part time tech so take my advice with that rock of salt nearby =
. . .

I would take down the tension on a small group (say six unisons at a =
time) and bang down the pins to the desired height (don't forget to =
support the pinblock with a pinblock jack or even a car jack).  I have a =
Schaff stringing hook the fits SOMEWHERE!  Somewhere on that pin you =
should be able to pull that coil tight with one hand and bring tension =
back up with the other.  Even if you have to hold it up in front of the =
pin, you can make a tight coil by lifting as you turn and guiding the =
string (like rolling up a garden hose, guiding the hose from a foot in =
front of the coil).

I suggested loosening surrounding pins so you won't add pressure to a =
nearby string as you massage the one you are working on.  Learned that =
one the hard way.

Good luck and try to find out who did that, put their name on a =
billboard as "wanted for randomly destroying area pianos.)

Glenn.
    -----Subject: Tightening coils on sloppy restringing
   =20
   =20
    I recently inspected a Steinway O that had been "rebuilt" a couple =
of years ago in another state. The wire protrudes through the pins about =
!/8"+, pins lean back at 8 degrees (guessing) and the wire spirals down =
the pin, some with 4-5 turns, to end at pretty much plate level. If the =
coils were tight the pins would be a good 1/4" too high. My problem; the =
coil lifting tools I possess are difficult to impossible to get in =
position with access limited by adjacent pins (when I restring I tighten =
coils as I go and put on enough tension to keep them in place). Does =
anyone know if there a tool available that would make this easier or =
have any ideas on how to efficiently tighten these coils and tap the =
pins down to make piano tunable? (The pins that I tried are almost too =
loose so I'm not worried about ending up too torqued). This is only the =
beginning of problems with this piano (example-I couldn't get the action =
out because the hammer flange screws were jammed into the lowered =
pinblock) but if any one has any suggestions on improving the coil =
situation I would appreciate your input.
    =20
    Garold Beyer=20