Tightening coils on sloppy restringing

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 01 May 1999 12:30:49 -0700

Garold,

Although you are asking about how to efficiently tighten the loose
coils, I think that you need to address why you cannot remove the
action. You may find that there is a relationship between the tuning
pins being loose and incompletely driven in, pins leaning back (toward
the tail?) at 8 degrees, and the bottom surface of the pin block being
too low. If the "rebuilder" drove in the pins without a support
underneath the pin block, that would cause the condition you describe
and the piano now needs to be completely restrung and the pin block
needs to be replaced.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT