Tightening coils on sloppy restringing

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 01 May 1999 18:20:35 -0400

IF_salvaging what is there is desired, you could also use a
Dremel Tool with the cutting wheel to cut the wire sticking out
of the becket hole before tightening the coil.

If you let the tension down enough to move the wire (1/4 turn)
it may be wise to let it all down and space the strings. Especially
on the felt counter-bearing section of the tenor.

By the time you: cut the excess, drop the tension, space the strings,
pull up the coils/tension, tap the coils, squeeze in the becket, drive
the pins, tap at the hitch pins, tune, tune, tune; you may discover a
plethera of false beats.

A sloppy job is an indication of lack of knowledge/caring. In either case
a kink in the wire would not have deterred the stringer from relocating
it out of the speaking length.

All of the posts have been insightful and a good look at the pin block
is needed to see if indeed it is delaminated.  If so, all the cutting,
pulling,
tapping, tuning will not make it stay in tune in the long run.

I restrung and installed a new block recently in a grand which someone just
received back from the "rebuilder" .   The pins were tighter than tight.
I was fearring breaking pins on letting the tension down.  I can't remember
if 2/0's came out so either the holes were drilled too small or 3/0's were put
into holes intended for 2's. Once apart the block was poorly fit to the flange
(read: wasn't fit); asad testament to the person who bragged 25 year working
relationship with S&S.  The person was unavailable for comment and the
owners, in their search were finally were directed to a lawyer and basically
told to get in line.

They're out there,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)