Kranick & Bach Wippens

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 01 May 1999 23:59:03 -0700

Eliot Lee wrote:

> Hi List,
>
>         I have a request to rebuild,  or preferably replace a Kranich &
> Bach, 6' Grand action.
>
>         It has really odd wippens which I don't think are in the Renner
> parts kit.  The angle of the jack is different and the wippen flange is
> horizontal instead of vertical.
>
>         Has any list member had experience replacing these wippens?  If so
> where did you get your parts?

Kranich & Bach has had some strange variations.  I think I've seen about three
different types of unique actions in these including two that had the let-off
capstan on the jack heal instead of on the rail.  Don't ask.  Anyway, I've
never seen any of these things work well- no wonder they're not in business
anymore.  As I recall from memory the action spread appeared well enough that
modern parts could possibly work but you would need to replace everything
including the hammer shanks/wippens.  You will need to try various
combinations from the ol' Renner kit and see what you can come up with.  You
may find yourself completely re-weighing off the keyboard later.  If it is
just too bizare you may have to start from scratch.  For a Kranich & Bach I
seriously doubt it's worth it.

Rob Goodale, RPT