Tightening coils on sloppy restringing

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 02 May 1999 10:31:18 -0400

In order to use the Impact Coil Tightener, one must let down some tension.
It is quicker to use a stringing hook.

The ICT does not live up to its expectations, IMO.  I think a better use
may be
to install the impact portion onto a vice grip for pulling bridge pins
(haven't
tried it yet).

Of course the secret is to lift the wire with a string hook/coil lifter as
tension is
placed on the wire during the installation.  Had that been done . . .

Regards,

Jon Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At 09:46 AM 5/2/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> I guess I would call it a coil tightener,
>> although there is another tool of that name.  It consists of a cutaway
>> cylinder tip which fits either underneath or on top of a coil.
>
>Paul et al,
>
>That is called an Impact Coil Tightened.
>
>> because I always make perfect coils
>
>You're a better man than I.  Piano wire has a mind of it's own and
>will do what IT wants, not always what I want.
>
>               Newton

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)