Tightening coils on sloppy restringing

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 02 May 1999 23:27:14 -0700

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

>I was told once that the way a string is coiled around a pin has no effect on
> the tuning stability of that string. This does NOT include a loose becket, or
> untight coil. I am talking about wires that cross over each other. Anideas on
> this?
>
> The other aspect of this post is the coils against the plate. Again, it is
> not a good way to do it, but what is the effect of a coil down on a the plate?
>
> Wim

1.  Any wire which crosses over itself describes a non-circular course
around the pin, which results in differential torque depending upon the
orientation of the pin.  It's like having an ovoid rather than a
cylindrical pin, which causes the pin to orient itself at the point of
least torque.  It thus has a preferred position and tends to slip to
that position from whatever position you try to set.

2.  A wire which rides on top of other wire in effect creates a tuning
pin bigger than any on the market - a size 8 or 9.  One result is that
more string gets moved for the same amount of pin rotation - i.e.
reduced tunability.  Another result is excessive torque because of the
bigger radius.

3.  Wire coils wound around a tuning pin are a less secure surface than
the pin itself, both because they are moveable and because they are an
irregular surface.  The result is instability.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA