hammered Foote

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Mon, 3 May 1999 19:46:45 EDT

Ed:

I'll try again.  Its still early Monday morning in southern Ca (4:30 pm;  was
at Tower Records too late last night in Pasadena, and the sun never came out
today).  Just read a newspaper article in the LA Times today about what
happens when e-mail messages are inadvertently sent....)

I love the UNLACQUERED Baldwin hammers.  I usually have to dope up the top
two or three octaves - I prefer acetone and water white sanding sealer, 4-1
to 6-1.   I have used these hammers on most of my North American made
rebuilds.  If they are being discontinued permanently I will be disappointed.
 I have always ordered them unbored, untapered and done this work myself too.
 I rebuilt a 9'  Chickering from the 20's with SD10 hammers which is
glorious.   I have one "L" set waiting for a piano;  no 26 bass sets;  I hope
that they will still be available.   I have not been happy with the
prelacquered hammers;  they always have too much lacquer for my taste.  I
prefer to be able to needle lacquered hammers fairly quickly after the
lacquer is applied - and I like to pound the hammers within a short time
after the lacquer is applied also.

Of course, I will still take Roger's class on steaming Renner Baldwin
hammers;

<< Greetings all,
      I am taking some suggestions here on a new hammer job.  The piano is a
 Baldwin M.
    This is a fairly small grand, and the hammers on there are somewhat
 lighter than the Renner Blues I have usually used.  The Renner Lites are
 available in the right weight and lengths, but this customer is interested
in
 a mellow piano sound, so I am looking for something that has a little less
 compression in it.
    I have, for some reason, worked on extremely few Baldwins in my career,
 and rehammered only one, years ago, when the hammer choices were more
 limited.  What is the hammer recomendation from those "Baldwin Experienced"?

 Is it the Abel?  Factory replacements?  Ronson, etc?  Somebody get me up to
 speed on what is working best for these pianos today!
 Thanks and regards,
 Ed Foote