dealers

cjbond@geocities.com cjbond@geocities.com
Tue, 04 May 1999 08:59:09 -0500

fdube@vianet.on.ca wrote:

> I'm curious about the dealers who have been offering those 'near new'
> Yamaha pianos, that come to the U. S. by the container loads,and are sold
> the same way... Apparently a few of these fellows have been at the NAMM
> show offering these "near new ' Yamahas .
> Are they any good for tuner/techs to offer to say piano teachers? I would
> like to be able to get one for a teacher. Apparently in the Toronto area,
> there are a few fellows who have puchased these pianos by the container
> load and can offer them at a good price. If anyone can help me in this
> regard it would be appreciated.
>
> Francis Dube, RPT.

I would not recommend a gray market piano to a piano teacher.  I happen
to be a piano teacher and the lack of a Manufacturer warranty and the
unknown background of such pianos would keep me from even considering
it.  A piano teacher's piano must always be in excellent condition and
be there for the long haul with stable tuning, etc, and be able to hold
up to the heavy usage it will get.  In my area, it's not that much more
just to buy the new over the gray market, especially for piano teachers
(some of our area dealers are very good at giving us a price break).
It's well worth the extra cost.

Julie Bond, NCTM