coils/pins

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 05 May 1999 09:45:21 -0400

> If this practice is wrong and the string should be flush in the tuning pin, then why do so many piano companies do this?

Sloppy workmanship.  The beckett should not extend past the pin for al
least three reasons, looks unprofessional, hazard to skin, very
difficult to remove the coil from the pin when needed.

> Is there another tool for making coils some of you find superior to the Sciortino tool?

Not for making occasional coils.  I prefer to make the coils with a
crank when restringing an entire piano.

> ( unless I am using it incorrectly).

Practice using the tool so this does not happen.

> I would set the hammer shank so the first pin has about 3/16" from the bottom of the coil to the plate.

I prefer 1/8" or two mm.  This helps to lower flag poling of the pin,
especially on those pianos that do not have plate bushings.  What is
important if the height of the bottom off the plate.  Never use less
than three coils.  On polished pins the tension can pull the beckett
out of the pin.  Having a sharp bend at the beckett hole help prevent
this but it can still happen on very high tension scales.

I have a gauge with an 1/8" thick extension 90 degrees from the
handle.  I use this to make sure I am not too far off the plate.  I
use it every third or fourth unison to make sure I am not going too
far off.

What is important to me is the feel of the pins when I tune.  I will
sacrifice slight visual imperfections for the superior feel.

Appearance is good. performance is better and durability is best.

		Newton