Driving Tuning Pins

james turner JTTUNER@webtv.net
Thu, 6 May 1999 02:30:10 -0500 (EST)

Several technicians have poi nted out the importance of the coil to
plate ratio recently. On many older pianos, it is standard practice to
drive loose tuning pins deeper into the block so the piano will hold
tune again.

In doing this, the bottom of the coil will be pretty close to the plate.
Will this cause any new problems?

With the newer technique of using CA for loose tuning pins, is it
necessary to drive the tuning pins deeper into the pinblock?  I have a
spinet Gulbransen piano with loose pins that I will be using CA on.  I
was just wondering if it is still necessary to drive the pins in along
with the CA.

Thanks,

Jim Turner