S&S square grand

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 May 1999 13:42:30 EDT

Jon,

Just yesterday the Southern California Area Newsletter arrived with an
announcement about the closing of the American Institute of Piano Technology
and the sale of several pianos.  The price of Steinway square, SN 16768,
"needs rebuilding" was $1,000.  (You can access this newsletter at
http://people.we.mediaone.net/donmannino/Newsletter/Newsletter.htm  -  they
list 6 pianos for sale.

Until this year I have agreed with your feelings about the square grand.
Even the recording of Jan deGaetani of American songs using a square was not
persuasive for me;  a recent post (an Australian currently in Europe, if I
recall correctly) weighed in for the square - it was very thought-provoking.
 Still, I think of the square as an aberration, a detour in the evolution of
the piano.  Am I wrong?

I will probably re-listen to the deGaetani recording.  Haven't searched the
archives on the subject of squares.  I am interested in the current thinking
of the restoration, as well as the design folks re: the square.  Would you
care to weigh in here - possibly Stephen or Del?

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<< List,
 A while ago there waslimited discussion on these
 and possibly someone in the UK was looking for one.

 I have a customer who is interested in selling one and
 I have no idea of their value.  I know what they are worth
 to me <g> but someone out there must like them.

 Please e-mail privately if you wish.

 Thanks,