Petrof/Renner actions

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 07 May 1999 09:23:01 +0200

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 5/6/99 3:42:31 PM !!!First Boot!!!, richardb@c2i.net
> writes:
>
> << I work with Petrofs daily. They are really "big" here in western Norway.
>  This I believe is mainly due to the fact that they have a relatively
>  nice round basic sound. There are at least three big problems with
>  Petrofs.
>
>  1.  The action. I dont believe Renner assembles it, and I question
>  whether all parts are truly Renner. In any case You must expect to have
>  to go through the entire action checking everything from basic geometry
>  to allignment of whippens, hammers etc. etc. ad absurdum before you try
>  and regulate the action. Otherwise you can expect a regulation that will
>  be unstable and uneven.
>
>  2. The tunning block is often of poor quality and fitting to the plate
>  leaves much to be desired. On more then one occasion I have been able to
>  insert a tuning mute between the plate and the block so that it goes
>  over an inch in. Amazzzing. Petrofs are famous over here for not holding
>  tunings. A guy I know in Seattle automatically sets a Petrof grand out
>  of the box on its side and starts pumping in epoxy to fill the gaps.
>
>  3. Bridge pin work is also very bad. Makes for a lot of false beats.
>
>  My advice is buy a Samick. Still, if you must have a Petrof, and are
>  willing to take care of the action problems and make sure the tunning
>  block is reasonably well adjusted to the plate, you can live with the
>  false beats, and like I said, they do have an ok sound. You can stand a
>  few feet from a Petrof and hear it played and actually be a bit
>  impressed. If Petrof combined japanese precision with what they already
>  do right it probably would be en excellent piano. Unfortunatly they
>  dont.
>
>  Richard Brekne
>  Sydneskleiven 1
>  5010 Bergen, Norway >>
>
> I can't believe we are talking about the same instrument Richard is
> descrbing. The Petrofs htat have come into my store were regulated, and in
> most instances, didn't even need tunign until they had been my store for at
> least 3 or 4 weeks. And then, even though I have only worked on them since
> January, I have not had any tuning stability problems.
>
> I am wondering if Petrof is making a different piano for marketing in America
> than they do in Europe? As I have mentioned, I have only started selling them
> since January, and the seem to be selling themselves. Either I am losing it
> as a technician, or I am going to be in for a big shock, if what Richard says
> is true.
>
> Willem Blees
> St. Louis

The Petrofs I saw in Seattle from 1991 -1994 were identical to the ones I have
seen in Europe from 1981-1991, and from 1994 up to the present. I suggest you
take a closer look at a few things. Look at every Petrof you get in. Check the
allignment of the whippens, and check whippen travel. Check the balance of the
center pins on a few random hammers, look closely at what is visible of the
pinblock, on uprights you can remove the felt covering to see better. Bridge pins
are easily inspected. And follow up on delivered pianos in regards to tuning
stability.

I too was very impressed when I first ran into petrof. But then I "grew up" on
story and clark spinets and the like. Petrof  DOES have a nice sound, and if you
get a good one (Bingo) then you will probably like it. A good action overhaul can
really improve their performance, both touch and sound.

A side note, Petrof lost many of their people this past couple years due to a
split in the company. Many builders went off and started the company making
"Bohemian" pianos and grands. Very much like Petrof. Also, two other czech names
Weinbach, and Røssler are available, also nearly identical to Petrof in every
regard.

Richard Brekne.