grey market, grey matter

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Fri, 07 May 1999 12:02:53 PDT

List,

If you're not in the mood for a semi-long story, then I'd hit your back
button right now.  : )

Two things I want to talk about here:

1.  The 1990 Kawai CA-40 serial #1988945 does indeed have the document
holder located on the inner rim.  Jim B. says that indicates a grey market
piano.  So, I've accepted the fact that I ordered a grey market piano for a
well-known elderly woman who donated it to our local retirement village.  I
am neutral in the grey market matter, because I don't have enough experience
with them to form an opinion.  Right now, there are three pedals, a flawless
finish and the entire action seems in perfect regulation.  All parts look
fine.  I played it for a half hour and am very happy with the response,
tone, clarity etc...
So I'll have to wait for 5 years for the real verdict.

2.  Again, I was asked by an elderly woman to find a "good" grand piano. She
didn't want the best (which to her meant $20,000 on up) but simply wanted
something that would stand out above the rest (in this town that's not
difficult - Glenwood is population 2500.) To me that meant to find a used
grand piano, preferably Kawai or Yamaha, since it seems these are easy to
find and there aren't any grands in this town other than YC.  I consider
both brands very good pianos and found several prospects in the $10,000 -
$14,000 range.

Since I am fairly new to the area, about 3 years, I am always trying to make
new contacts with local musicians, clients, and of course, dealers.  There
is a town 15 miles from Glenwood with a population of 10,000 in the city,
3,000 in the country.  There are two piano dealers that both sell YC
products, Samick and Story and Clark.  I decided to approach the smaller
dealer since he was a good friend of one of my closest friends - I know,
yakatee yakatee yak.  : )

This dealer sells 42" Story & Clarks and Weber Grands.  Not much inventory,
pretty small time.  But hey, he is a nice guy so what the heck........

He tells me that for any pianos outside of his product line, he goes through
a dealer in Chicago.  I called and told him what I was looking for but did
not reveal the price range.  He later called back with a fax list of about
300 grands.  He asked about the price range at that time and I said to keep
it under $12,000.  He then proceeded with the possibilities.  We finally
narrowed it down to four different pianos - a 1990 Kawai, a 1998 Kawai "for
just a little bit more money," and 2 Yamaha grands for around $13,000.

I asked for information on the serial number, year, condition, finish and
length.  I typed up the list of four pianos (nicely typed too) and presented
it to the buyer.  She didn't want to choose but wanted my assurance on the
'90 Kawai.  I told her about the grading system and that a 1990 Grade A
Kawai 6' Grand would be a great piano for the retirement home chapel.  So it
was decided.

I called the dealer and told him to go ahead with the '90 Kawai.  He said he
needed $5,000 down and the remaining balance of $6,200 after the piano
arrives.  No problem.

The next day he calls me and says "Jay, I ordered it!  Exciting huh!"  Then
he asks for the $5,000.  I called the client relaying the money thing.   She
paid the down money 3 days later.

The piano arrives from California 3 weeks later.  I was nervous because this
was my first time with this type of deal.  By the way, it was understood
with the dealer, client and myself what take we would get for the service.
$500 to the dealer plus a huge article in our local newspaper about the
piano and what dealer it came from, $150 to me for my time, $250 to the
movers from California, and $200 to the local movers.  Those are the going
rates around these parts at least for movers and techs.  I was also nervous
because I didn't know if this piano would be regulated.  If it was out of
regulation, that would have been my time donated.

The piano arrived better than I had hoped for.  See #1 above.  Piano looks
and plays great.  The client pays the balance for a total of $11,200 and
everything is peachy.

HOWEVER!  .......  When they were unloading off the van I noticed the serial
number was different from the one the dealer told me on the phone.  After a
couple of days I started thinking how could this be.  The thought of
deception really started to depress me.

So yesterday I recieve my $150 check from the dealer.  He asks if the
clients were happy with the piano and I said yes.  After he wrote the check
I mentioned that I too was happy with the whole deal - except for one thing.
  "The only thing that bugs me about this deal is that the serial number is
different from the one you told me on the phone."

His face turned bright red and he quickly stated "Oh, I must have given you
the wrong number. You know those fax sheets have such small print."  He then
told me he needs new glasses.  I didn't say anything at all.  It was
complete silence.  I couldn't stand it anymore so I turned the subject into
the grey piano market.  The atmosphere lightened up as he listened to what I
regurgitated from this list.  He looked puzzled like he had never heard of
the grey market.

The original serial number he gave me was 1988966.  The piano that arrived
was 1988945.  Both pianos are listed as 1990 Kawais in the Atlas.

So.....any comments???

If it weren't for the fact that I am very happy with the piano, the clients
are happy with the piano, and I don't want to stir up any commotion in this
small town, I think this dealer would be in hot water.  I let it go.  But he
and I both know from it won't happen again.

Jay Mercier
Piano Tech. / Teacher
Glenwood, MN