Currier pianos

Brenda Mamer mamer@dwave.net
Fri, 07 May 1999 20:51:51 -0700

About 3 years ago I was called to tune a Currier Studio.  The woman said
it sounded 'terrible'.  She was right. 3 years earlier it had been pitch
raised 30 cents and now it was  200 cents flat. At the treble break it
sounded as if I were banging a garbage can lid.  This model appears to
have a massively thick [ 1 1/2 -2"] plate.  What it turns out to be is
some sort of wood composite,[ plywood, sawdust or something
in-between].  It is faced with a thin smooth metal veneer and all
sprayed gold.  The 'plate' had broken at the treble break and the metal
veneer was bulged forward towards the strings and was touching for about
1/2 an octave.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Of course no one was home,
I left the woman a note and spoke with her later.  I don't know that I'd
ever tune one of those again, at least not bring one up to pitch!
Wondering if anyone else has seen one of these?
                                 Brenda Mamer, RPT  WI