C-A glue for pin blocks

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 07 May 1999 22:00:56 -0700

List,

OK, I'm reluctantly considering C-A glue for ONE very loose low bass pin
(monochord section) in a small grand of modest value and many years.
I'm not fond of shims and I don't like pins above a size 4 or of a
different size than the rest in a section, if avoidable.

I've been on the list only 6 weeks now, so I'm sure I've not gotten the
benefit of many past discussions.  Has anything been published in the
Journal?

Putting the cart before the horse, let me envision what I'm supposed to
do, and someone please correct and advise me as necessary.

1.  Loosen 1/4 turn or so, slip off the coil and turn the pin up a
little higher than it should be when at tension.  This is so that a) it
will be at the right height when finished, and b) the glue will form
evenly at all points on the pin, which it would not if it were under
tension.

2.  With the action out of the piano and plastic sheeting on the key
bed, apply accelerator to the under side of the pin block at the problem
area.  This is so that any glue that might be tempted to drip will
harden before doing so.  The plastic is in case that fails.

3.  Apply low viscosity (red label) glue to the base of the pin, using a
well sealed hypo syringe (which I guess is trash after the procedure).
Allow the glue to wick down until the pin won't take any more.  Let
harden completely.

4.  Clean the underside of the pin block; install and tighten jack.
Whack pin just enough to break glue contact.  Turn pin to point lightly
above surrounding pins, replace coil, bring to tension and tune.

How's that?

Some questions:

Q#1:  When the pin gets whacked, does it really separate cleanly from
the surrounding wood (and the glue itself).  Why doesn't some of the
glue remain on the pin, possibly along with bits of wood from the block?

Q#2:  Why doesn't the pin bind and jump during tuning from rubbing
against a plastic and possibly uneven surface?

Sorry if I'm covering old ground or if my assumptions are completely off
base.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA