C-A glue for pin blocks

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 9 May 1999 15:56:41 -0500 (CDT)

>After a generous dose of CA to firm-up the pins,
>has anyone tried to remove the plate?
>
>Will this not glue the block and plate together as
>well. There is leftover flange/block fitting material
>on the flange but how will it affect the pin webbing area?
>
>Just a thought,
>

>Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CA's pretty hard. It should pop off the cast iron fairly easily, especially
after a few seasonal swings. I don't think it would be a big problem. I'd
think you would have a worse time getting a plate off a block if it had been
glued under the webbing with something more flexable and clingy, like PVC-E.
Yea, I know, there's no reason for PVC-E to get under a plate, I was just
trying to make a point. %-) It probably won't come up for another twenty
years or so anyway. Once a piano is made even adequately tunable with the
CA'd pinblock, it probably won't be rebuilt until something not ignorable
and not easily gotten around forces the issue. By then, there will probably
be a pour on crown restorer and hammer builder-upper and the piano will last
forever. Maybe longer.
 Ron