Why?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sun, 09 May 1999 17:45:45 -0700 (MST)

Hi Clark:

If you are referring to the treble break up around note 55, it can often
be that this is where the string angle begins to flare out more at the
bridge. Usually the strings on a grand run straight back from the tuning
pin to the bridge in the top section. Then from that strut on down the
scale, they begin to flare more toward the Bass side. As a result, there
are fewer strings per inch along the bridge which decreases the downbearing
upon the bridge. The string lengths also increase on an expontial basis.
This will allow the bridge to move easier when some humidity change comes
along.

Now, if you are referring to the break between Bass and Tenor section, the
tension of Bass strings is usually a good bit higher than on neighboring
plain strings. Here again the plain strings will allow the soundboard
and bridge to move easier when humidity changes come by.

Jim Coleman, Sr.