travel tape

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 10 May 1999 12:11:20 -0400

I too didn't give up, Ken. Some things just take longer than others.

I found a place here that I didn't know existed before. It was a paper and
janitorial supply company, of all combinations. I bought a 3-7/8" wide by
7-3/8" diameter roll for $2.50, weighing in unofficially at two pounds --
although it hefts like five pounds. I may have bought this below fair
market value, for a couple reasons:

(1) I went through each employee without success; finally they brought out
the owner -- the only one old enough to know what I was talking about;
(2) Owner went through stock, and offered me the type with nylon string
running through it;
(3) Owner rummaged around some more, and finally found the right kind.
(4) While waiting, I too was rummaging around, checking out things the way
I do in the hardware store. Found some neat things that could be
incorporated into a service/shop setting.

So, I think they were happy to get rid of me. Little do they know, like a
bad dream, I'll be back!

Now, if I can just find a piece of wood large enough to make a caul (per
Newton's instructions). For something so simple, this travel paper thing
could get expensive and time consuming!

At 10:13 PM 5/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>List,
>I recall a discussion last month about old fashioned gummed packing tape
>being the best flange travel paper, though it is becoming hard to find in
>retail stores. I have been using 200 grit psa sandpaper, but I'm always up
>for something new (or old). I figured I'd get some if I ever ran across it.
>Saw it advertised in Reliable Office Supply, so I bought two rolls, and now
>I'm set for life. The rolls are 3" wide and 7-1/2" in diameter! For 5.99 a
>roll.
[snip]

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.